Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ziti with Asparagus for Two & Vegetarian Lasagna for One…



In yesterday’s novel of a blog post, I neglected to mention that I cooked another GDL meal on Saturday night for Jared and me. Ziti with Asparagus, Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto turned out to be one of the fastest dishes I’ve ever cooked (aside from my college regiment of instant mac and cheese of course).

The ziti boils for just five minutes before adding the asparagus pieces. In just two more minutes it’s practically done. Just add garlic, salt and pepper and bits of smoked mozzarella to the hot pot so the cheese gets gooey and presto! I made Jared add his Prosciutto to his own bowl as to not taint my vegetarian dinner. I do have to admit that his bowl looked significantly more interesting with the bright red Prosciutto mixing in the white ziti and bright green asparagus. However, the thought of a hanging two-year-old salted pig’s leg crushed any jealousy toward my boyfriend's dinner immediately.

Last night was happily meat free for me. I made GDL’s Individual Vegetarian Lasagna. When cooking for one, a recipe titled “Individual” is a welcomed one. I’ve never made a lasagna on my own before but was fairly impressed with my results. Giada recommends a lot of different vegetables for a variety of textures and flavors but I did omit several that were not easily found (or on sale) at Stew Leonard’s last night.

The only thing I would do differently is let it set longer before attacking it. By the time I got home from Stew’s after work and the gym and prepared the lasagna, I was positively ravenous. With one stab of my fork, zucchini and asparagus and pasta noodles retreated to the edges of my dish and the sauce spewed throughout the plate leaving me with a little bloody vegetable battleground. Ironically violent for a vegetarian night.





1 comment:

  1. Talk about imagery... "the sauce spewed throughout the plate leaving me with a little bloody vegetable battleground. Ironically violent for a vegetarian night." Is it wrong this makes me more hungry?

    BTW. I devoured what was left of your ziti/asparagus combo last night. It was just as delicious reheated.

    ReplyDelete