Monday, January 11, 2010

Here we go...



Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? So let's just get this out there- yes, I am totally ripping off Julie Powell's idea. I'm sure by now you've all heard of the blog turned book turned fabulous motion picture Julie & Julia based on Julie Powell's self-challenge to cook her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in just one year.

Well I have thoughts too! Apparently not for an original blog idea but thoughts nonetheless. And I am that cliché of the twenty-something cubicle worker who is completely lost and looking for a challenge. So, on to the challenge!

I may not be as ambitious as Julie Powell taking on 524 impressive French recipes in a year but I am attempting 125 classic Italian recipes. My muse? Giada De Laurentiis. I am cooking my way through Giada's Everyday Italian in just one year.

Now before you doubt the severity of my challenge, let me remind you who you're dealing with here. My name is Julie. I live in a small apartment on the coast of Connecticut and work full time in a cubicle. I'm a vegetarian of ten plus years and oh yeah... I can't cook. I know a lot of people say that but seriously, rice is the bain of my existence.

So I know what you're thinking. How is a vegetarian who can't cook supposed to successfully cook her way through Everyday Italian in one year? That's the challenge! You see! It's not as easy as you thought! Listen, I'm not an idiot. I can follow a recipe. And I love Italian food... LOVE IT! I don't push vegetarianism on anyone else so I'm going to have to learn to prepare meat for my future children someday. So this might as well be that day.

Well maybe not today. This weekend maybe? My uber-meat-eating boyfriend will be in town and gladly volunteer to eat whatever I feed him. I mean, the man has been brave enough to try Tofurky. A little pancetta will be a welcomed change.

So welcome to my challenge. Thanks for reading. And yes...

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment