Friday, January 29, 2010

The Bitch Lied...



The cover of Everyday Italian says (and I quote) “125 Simple and Delicious Recipes.” Giada, with all due respect, you are a dirty rotten liar. There are indeed 133 recipes in Everyday Italian and I have cooked my way through just 21 of them.

Though I feel deceived, I’m actually way ahead of schedule. To make it through the last 112 recipes, I will have to average a little over two dishes per week. Totally doable, right?

But word to the wise- before starting a yearlong quest to cook your way through an entire book of Italian recipes there are several questions that should be addressed…

  1. In your general vicinity, just how many grocery stores, convenient stores, specialty grocers or any other foodstuff bearing locales are there?
  1. Just how much do you like pasta?
  1. Will family/friends/loved ones begin to despise you when you say, “no we can’t order Chinese tonight, I absolutely have to make Endive and Frisée Salad with Blood Oranges and Hazelnuts.”
  1. Is your freezer large enough to hold the leftovers that will eventually accumulate when cooking large Italian meals for a single person?
  1. Are you out of your fucking mind?
I apparently did not take these into consideration. But cooking (and blogging) my way out of cubicle ennui has been more often than not a complete delight. And as I close the first month of my own deranged project, I feel fantastic! So thank you for reading. Write you next month. 

3 comments:

  1. You go Julie. This is a a lot of fun to read. I think I'll cook along with you! The thing that gets me about Giada is that she looks like she doesn't eat at all!! I'm adding this to my favorites! I just got into "The New Mediterranian Diet" it's the new version - great stuff. Nothing like good food in a cold winter!
    Aurelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you aurelia! good to hear from you and i'm so glad you like my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a starving musician...I'll be happy to take those meals out of your freezer!

    ReplyDelete