Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crostini & Panini...


I’m an American. So I call multiple toasted sandwiches “Paninis” like the ignorant barbarian I am. However, “Panino” is the singular small stuffed bread roll and “Panini” is the multiple of these usually grill-pressed sandwiches. Same thing goes for “Crostino” which is a small piece of toast topped with a spread and the plural is “Crostini.”

OK, the Italian grammar lesson is over. Moving on…

Last night I cautiously made GDL’s Italian Egg Sandwich. I say ‘cautiously’ because I have never in my life made an egg any other way than scrambled or hard-boiled. Nor have I eaten one any other way. I, like Julie Powell, thought that fried eggs would be greasy and slimy and cooking them would be an even bigger challenge so I set aside three to make this one-egg crustino. But low and behold, I pulled it off without a hitch. I guess it’s not a huge accomplishment. It’s basically a dropped egg on toast with a spoonful of marinara sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan. But last night it deserved a small round of applause from my small self in my small kitchen.

Above the recipe in Everyday Italian, GDL writes a cute personal note to me saying, “This breakfast sandwich has been passed down through our family: My grandfather used to make it with my mom, and she would make it with us. Now I’m passing it on to you.” Aw gee, thanks Giada, it's dee-lish!

Staying on the crustino/panino bandwagon, I came home for lunch today and made Panino Alla Margherita. The Italian version of a BLT, which I’ve always called a TBM- tomato, basil & mozzarella. Here’s a little culinary history lesson courtesy of Ms. GDL- Anything made using the colors of the Italian flag (red, white and green) is known as 'alla Margherita.' This goes back to 1889, when the royal palace asked the locals to make pizzas for Queen Margherita with her three favorite toppings tomato (red), cheese (white) and basil (green). It’s the tricolore of the Italian flag! Viva Italiano!

I used the last of a baguette so I guess what I made was technically teeny weenie Panini. But it was just as delicious in diminutive form.

So in closing, can I just say that crusty bread drizzled with olive oil and toasted on a grill pan has quickly become one of the great loves of my life? Shhh, you had me at “sizzle!”





2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie
    I'm just catching up and I have to say... I love this. Not only am I a huge fan of Julie & Julia, but now apparently I am a huge fan of the Julie/Giada project. I'm seeing a whole new side of you and really enjoy your humor. Happy writing, I think you are doing a FABULOUS job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bebe! Sorry, but I may have to refrain from reading your blog at any time other than immediately after gorging myself. Your "teeny weeny panini" description is making my tummy wumbly.

    ReplyDelete