Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Petite Powerhouse...



I’ve been feeling very connected to Giada De Laurentiis lately. Wonder why. Maybe because I’m spending my days writing about her recipes, planning out her recipes, shopping for food for her recipes, running around buying kitchen utensils and gadgets I realize I don’t own when I go to make her recipes. The woman is definitely on my mind.

Prior to a week ago, the only connection I had to GDL was the fact that Giada at Home was conveniently on the Food Network during my lunch break. I’ve always loved the look of her show- the gleaming kitchen overlooking the ocean, the fresh beautiful foods and Giada’s clean, confident presence.

I do, however, on occasion roll my eyes at her cooking with cleavage or the goofy giggling faces she flashes the camera. (I mean, who gets that excited over mascarpone cheese?) But despite her quirks, Giada has found her way into my kitchen and my heart. And my affection may be growing to obsession status. I read about some of her “favorite things” on her website and then found myself requesting her signature OPI Bubble Bath polish at my nail salon. Um, hello, I’m a red flag, nice to meet you!

But seriously, in Julie Powell’s blog she wrote about her growing love and connectedness to Julia Child through her project and I have to agree wholeheartedly.

Now on to recipe number 14- Cheese Tortellini in Light Broth. I have never boiled pasta in broth rather than water and as the frothy, yellow cloudy bubbles boiled up and popped before me in the pot, I had my reservations. But poured into a deep bowl and sprinkled with Parmesan, pepper and parsley the dish was as warm and comforting as chicken soup and a big cozy blanket. I imagine round Italian mamas serving this to their cold-stricken children in Italy. “Mangi bambino!”





No comments:

Post a Comment