Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Virginia is for Lovers...



Yes, I moved to Richmond, Virginia for love. Jared and I are now in a short-distance relationship, which is a dramatic change from our weekend road warrior lifestyle. Though it was a move for love, I will not romanticize this last ten days. It’s an adjustment.

I am a creature of habit, a lover of routine. Not one to typically load everything I own into one U-Haul and move to a town I haven’t spent more than four consecutive days in. But that Saturday, after everything was unloaded (thank you, thank you, thank you Jared and Kenny!) and the boys scurried off to a gun show (yes, I live in the south now) I looked around my beautiful new riverfront loft with boxes strewn about and calmly knew the first place to start- the kitchen.

I once heard that when you are moving into a new home, you should pick just one room and make it your own. You should go slowly through the house. Be polite and introduce yourself, so it can introduce itself to you.

So I’ve been introducing myself to this apartment, my new job and my new town over the last few days. I’m overwhelmed with all there is to still do before I feel like I’m in my routine and at home here and I’m continually amazed at how few hours there are in a day. But I’m trying to take it one room at a time.

Cooking has slowed to maybe one GDL meal a week and as you can see, the blogging even less which saddens me deeply. But then again, I’m sitting here in this stunning apartment with LOST just minutes away with the man I love on the other end of the sofa picking a guitar. This is why I’m here. Virginia is for lovers… and maybe in a few weeks when the to do list shrinks to just a grocery list, Virginia will be for cookers and bloggers and eaters! 

No comments:

Post a Comment