Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Home Cooking...


This apartment must feel like home already. I can tell by getting sick. Not that I recommend getting sick but it is a true test of what you view “home” as. When I was little with a runny nose or fever, nothing was more comforting than my bed pillow on the living room sofa drifting in and out of sleep watching daytime television. When I was sick in college I still craved my parent’s house. That still felt like home to me. But I distinctly remember the first time I got sick in Connecticut at work and all I could think of is getting home to my little apartment and putting my bed pillow on my couch.

This week I had my first cold here in Virginia and desperately wanted to be on my couch next to my beautiful big windows, the sun warming me into a hazy sleep brought on by the Food Network and Robitussin. I came home midday yesterday and did just that.

But enough about that.

What did I cook this week? It was a mishmash of things really. On Saturday night while Jared ate a piece of steak the size of my head (more about that to come), I made myself a delightful panino- GDL’s Panino Di Fontina. I have adored every crusty crunchy panino and crustino Giada has recommended. Maybe someday I’ll write my very own Everyday Panini. But for now, this grilled sandwich with fontina cheese, spinach and red onion was a quick and delicious meal.

So as formally mentioned, Jared purchased a giant piece of a cow at Tom Leonard’s (yes, Stew Leonard from Connecticut had a son Tom who opened a similar store in Richmond of all places!). It was a really economical purchase really. The Tom Leonard’s butcher sliced it into 9 thick steaks that are now lined up in my formally vegetarian freezer. Totally worth it to see how happy he was.

With Jared’s guidance I used one of those steaks to make GDL’s Steak Florentine. I obviously didn’t taste it but Jared seemed to enjoy it. I’ve seen him season the steak with salt and pepper before but this time we added garlic and lemon juice. It looked simple and smelled pretty good but unfortunately that’s all I can really say about that one!

This weekend is the big challenge- Easter dinner. Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. The steak was delicious. It doesn't get two thumbs up, though. That's Giada's fault.

    Not that the steak wasn't good. It just lacked the originality we've come to expect from Giada's recipes. Salt, pepper, garlic, lemon. I use each of those often.

    Feel better Bebe!

    ReplyDelete