Tuesday, March 23, 2010

No Fuss Frittatas...



Trust me, I know how fun it is to hear about my cooking catastrophes and minor meltdowns. If I were meant to not make mistakes I would have been born into a different species. Yes, imperfection makes for hilarity and an entertaining blog (I hope I hope!) but today I’m afraid I will have to disappoint those who relish in my amusing misfortunes. I know this will last all of a minute or two but tonight I have nothing to complain about.

This past Sunday I awoke to a seventy degree day and nothing on my to do list. My boyfriend told me to sleep in as he hung my curtains and made me coffee. Shakespeare’s got nothing on this man. Who needs a sonnet when you have hazelnut coffeemate?

To return the favor- a GDL Potato Frittata. This has to be my new “go to” breakfast dish. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have potatoes, onion and eggs in my house. My fridge is practically begging me to whip this one up!

You start by instantly creating jealousy in your apartment building by perfuming the hallways with the sizzling smells of onion, garlic and potatoes. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, cream, Parmesan and basil and pour it directly over the potato mixture. After about two minutes or when you can see the eggs start to set and pull away from the edges of your fry pan, you put the whole pan under the broiler until the top is golden brown and you can’t stop drooling from the aroma.

The frittata gets flipped onto a plate and served (in our case) with hot sauce and ketchup. I am sure this is much to Giada’s disapproval but I’m French-Canadian and we like our eggs with ketchup and Jared puts Texas Pete’s on just about anything. Apparently “it’s a Southern Tradition” even though he’s from New Hampshire. I don’t get it.

Moving on.

I’m finding my groove here in Richmond. I’m really enjoying my job, which is a pleasant surprise, and I adore my apartment even if it does have an electric stove. With 98 recipes to go in Everyday Italian, I’m confident I’ll make my deadline. Especially since come summertime when Jared and I will certainly be grilling I can knock out some meat dishes (for Jared) and salads (for me) at the same time.

Now I’m going to throw something out there to my blog readers or as Julie Powell called them- bleaders. I’m thinking of going all out for Easter, a big GDL feast and my first big meat dish. What do we think? Here’s the potential menu- Roasted Pork Loin with Fig Sauce, Roasted Baby Potatoes with Herbs and Garlic, Sautéed Broccoli Rabe with Raisins and Pine Nuts and Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. OK, that last one isn’t quite Everyday Italian but what’s Easter without carrot cake?

Any words of encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated, bleaders. Let me have it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment