Saturday, July 17, 2010

Biscotti Calling...



Last weekend on a rainy Saturday afternoon I suddenly got ‘all about Italy.’ Roman Holiday was on and I was making GDL’s Citrus Biscotti. Biscotti meaning, “twice baked” were popular long before individually packaged ones were sold near every Starbucks register. Their dry consistency means they can easily be stored for long periods of time. Biscotti came in handy during long journeys and wars and were a staple food of the Roman Legions.

My grandmother makes biscotti at Christmas and though nothing compares to Mimi’s baking, I’d say that Giada’s citrus biscotti come in a close second as the best biscotti I’ve ever tasted. Made with orange zest and lemon juice the dough is baked in two long loaves, cut into finger long cookies and baked again. And when dunked in coffee, they are absolutely delicious. But don’t take my word for it- my best review came when I found Jared in my kitchen after work one day this week making coffee saying he was craving my biscotti all day.

That same night I made GDL’s Pasta Primavera. I had fresh summer squash from a friend’s garden and though I usually prefer raw crispy vegetables, these fresh veggies baked in olive oil, herbs and salt and pepper were so melt-in-your-mouth-fantastic. Added to bowtie pasta it was a delightful summertime meal.

Now if you’ll excuse me, my biscotti are calling me.



No comments:

Post a Comment