Monday, April 19, 2010

Calling a Truce...



The war is over! As many of you know, I've had a long-standing battle with rice. It's been an all out war really.

I think it all started in college when I attempted to make instant rice only to learn a minute later that it wasn't meant to be instant. My microwave was covered with rock hard black bits of rice like an army of tiny charred ants attacking my Kenmore from the inside out. And the smell haunted my roommates and me for a good four days.

Then there was the Rice Pilaf Massacre of 2004 when the Zatarain's that was supposed to just steam up plump and moist in the covered pan, instead stuck to every inch of it forming a coating that looked like those beaded seat covers that taxi cab drivers and 80-year-old men sit on.

I know that rice isn't supposed to be challenging. Hell, the first season of Survivor had nothing but rice and managed to make that over a fire on a beach. And still every attempt made by yours truly has been absolute pasty mush or charred black rocks that ruin my Calphalon and my appetite. So try to understand how it took me about a week to gain the confidence to attack GDL's Mushroom Risotto with Peas.

I came home from work on Friday ready for battle. With an auxiliary frozen pizza standing by, I had low expectations for this dish or shall I say, my ability to complete this dish successfully.

While chopping an onion and garlic cloves, the mushrooms get softened in simmering veggie broth. They then come out and you dice the soft mushrooms and deliver all choppings into a large pot with melted butter on the bottom. When your boyfriend says it smells good and looks hopeful for a good meal, it's time to man up and add the rice!

After a swig (or seven) of white wine, a cup of it gets added to the pot. All the liquid gets absorbed or burned off fairly quickly and visions of burnt rice start dancing in my head causing a quick panic followed by more wine gulps. Veggie broth to the rescue! Adding a cup every ten minutes or so, a half hour later I was left with… (pause for dramatic effect)... creamy, fluffy risotto!

It was a glorious day for rice and me. And as the Uncle Ben Gods smiled down on me, I ate my Mushroom Risotto with Peas slowly, enjoying and savoring each victorious bite.

I have concurred rice. The war is over. And the villagers celebrated with root beer, more wine and reruns of Weeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment